The mission of the Science and Data Visualization Task Force is to streamline the process of going from data to dome, increasing the potential for scientific communication and storytelling in the planetarium.
The task force will undertake initiatives (inclusive of Data to Dome) aimed at:
- Preparing planetaria for the big data streams that will come from next generation telescopes, satellites, experiments and computational simulations.
- Creating professional development opportunities aimed at developing more "data savvy” planetarians.
- Developing and promoting best practices for data visualization in the dome.
- Connecting data suppliers, with vendors and planetarium end-users by setting, and recommending, standards for real-time, or near real-time, scientific content distribution: imagery, videos, tabular data etc.
- Encouraging the visualization of a wide range of scientific data in the dome (moving beyond astronomy).
- Advocating for the inclusion of dome visualization tools in standard scientific analysis and visualization packages.
- Encouraging planetaria to make their facilities available to researchers from their communities to use as a visualization tool.
Task Force Members
Dr. Mark SubbaRao (Chair)
Space Visualization Laboratory Director
msubbarao at adlerplanetarium.org
Dr. Tom Kwasnitschka
Seafloor Visualization Laboratory
GEOMAR Helmholtz-Zentrum für Ozeanforschung Kiel
tkwasnitschka at geomar.de
Dr. Matthew Turk
National Center for Supercomputing Applications
matthewturk at gmail.com
Lars Lindberg Christensen (MSc)
ESO Head Education & Public Outreach Dept.
IAU Press Officer
IAU Commission 55 President
lars at eso.org
Dr. Ka Chun Yu
Curator of Space Science
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
kcyu at dmns.org
Public Relations Center
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan
National Institute of Natural Sciences
shoichi.itoh at nao.ac.jp
Emera Astronomy Center
University of Maine
167 Rangeley Road
Orono, Maine USA
Director of Astrovisualization
American Museum of Natural History
New York, USA
tourtheuniverse at gmail.com
Task Force Reports
2016 - Warsaw