To find the email address and other information about an IPS member,
you can use the Member Directory as follows:
- Click "Sign In" on top right of page (and sign in with your username & password)
- Click Membership > Member Directory (only appears if you've signed in)
- Enter the name of the person. Only first or last name is really needed.
- Click on the person's name in the results and their Bio appears that includes email address
Public — Members Only — or Private Information
IPS members can decide what information to provide in their profiles/bios
and which information to make available to the public, members only, or keep private.
To control that:
- Click "Sign In" on top right of page (and sign in with your username & password).
- Click on your "Bio" tab.
- Click on "Edit" to the right of Professional, Personal, or More Public Directory Info.
- Beside each field there is an icon that you can click on to set the privacy of that field:
Padlock icon means "Private" (only IPS administrators can view);
Unlocked Padlock icon means "Public" (that information is available to the public);
Person icon means that field can be seen by "IPS Members Only"
Creating Groups and Participating in Groups
An IPS Group on the IPS website is a place where members can communicate and work together towards a particular goal. Group members share a commonality and encourage participation and interest from members. A group can set up forums, blogs, events, and other communication paths for the group members and for the general membership. A group can create custom group pages and allow group members to collaborate on the content. A common question is, "What is the difference between group and a forum?" A forum is a place where members simply post messages about a particular topic, whereas the group is more task or goal oriented and has provisions for more complex functions than simply posting messages.
To access a group:
- Sign in
- Go to Get Involved! > Groups to find Groups available for you,
- Click on the name of a group to find these functions:
Join Group (may need to be approved by a Group Manager),
Group Pages (e.g. Shared Documents),
Directory & Features (including calendar, blogs, forums, and photos),
Options (including messaging or emailing all group members)
To start a Group
The IPS Webmaster must give you backend (Admin) access to the IPS website. Once you have that, you can go to the Admin login page (https://www.ips-planetarium.org/admin/Login.aspx) and sign in with your Admin username and password. It can be beneficial to meet with the IPS webmaster (Alan Gould) via videoconference with shared screens to get better oriented to the IPS website backend.
To create a group:
- Navigate to the Features tab
- Navigate to the Left Rail menu and select Website & Social
- Click on the Group Management link
- Click on Add a New Group./
- Complete the group’s settings page and select the “Submit” button page to save settings.
In "Group Management" you can find displayed all the Group Types you are authorized to manage.
Click on a Group Type to see all the Groups that are of that type. The icons to the left of the group names include "View Group Home Page", "Edit Group", "Edit Group Page Layout", "View Blogs", and "Export Group Blogs."
The Edit Group page allows you change the Group Type, Group Name, Description, Group Code (that determines the URL for the Group), accessibility, mailing, messaging, and newsletter options.
Group members may be added en masse using the Directory Search.