Following its primary goal of encouraging the sharing of ideas among its members, the International Planetarium Society makes conference registration stipends available to support members whose circumstances make it difficult to attend a conference but who would benefit greatly from taking part. Examples include members in developing countries and young, relatively new members who wish to develop their planetarium skills.
Applications are considered by the IPS Finance Committee and the Chair of the International Relations Committee. There is no guarantee that any given application will be successful, but each is examined carefully and judged on its own merit.
In deliberating on the applications, The IPS Finance Committee shall consider primarily:
- The financial circumstances of the applicant;
- The financial circumstances of the applicant's institution;
- The personal and professional benefits stated by the applicant in the application form;
- The country of residence of the applicant; and
- The description of a poster that you would present at the Conference, as described in the application form.
The applicant, or the applicant’s institution, must be a member of IPS.
Stipends shall not be awarded to the same applicant more than once unless there exists exceptional circumstances. In no case will an applicant be awarded a stipend for two consecutive IPS conferences.
Interested applicants may complete the online* Application Form no later than 31 March the year of the conference.
The IPS Finance Committee and the Chair of the IPS International Relations Committee shall decide the result of each application and communicate the results on or before 14 April, the year of the conference.
Applicants are assured that the IPS will not make any decisions based on gender, nationality, sexual orientation, race, or religious beliefs.
- Each successful applicant shall respond to the IPS within seven (7) days of receiving notification to either accept or turn down the award.
- If for any reason the awarded applicant cannot attend the IPS Conference, no funds shall be sent and, if funds have already been sent, they must be returned/refunded.
- After the conclusion of the Conference, each awardee shall provide a report to providing feedback about the experience of attending and a summary of how the stipend has assisted the recipient.
- Applicants for stipends are reminded that the award is for the cost of registration only, and all other financial obligations are their responsibility.
- Applicants are advised to avoid making non-refundable travel arrangements before the results of an application are communicated.
*If you cannot complete the online form, please contact Martin George (email@example.com) as soon as possible.