IPS Ad Hoc Committee:
Immersive Audio Committee
Charlie Morrow, Chair
Our task is (1) to inform and inspire through listening experiences of the power of immersive sound in planetariums, in living spaces, work-spaces for education, health, entertainment, etc.; and (2) To define requirements on sound and acoustics and to set standards for healthy sound.
This includes topics like:
- room acoustics
- speech intelligibility
- spatial sound quality
- sound transparency
- audio effects
- content exchange
- hard and software for sound production and reinforcement
- audio production
- fulldome audio standards
- acoustical immersion
Planetariums are becoming multi-use spaces. With evolving methods of sound diffusion and distribution, all spaces are now controllable as part of a total aural experience, to support the mission and branding of the planetarium.
The Immersive Audio Committee will inform the IPS community about audio and acoustics in the dome and the entire planetarium facility.
The committee will provide information and support for sound (active) in the dome and also for room acoustics (passive and active). Increasing the knowledge about sound for all members of the IPS is one of the main goals of the committee.
The committee will also include artists and producers in our work to inform about new production tools and methods to expand the creative opportunities for these immersive spaces.
We will focus on these internal projects:
- Basic document on requirements for sound in the dome and other planetarium spaces—see Immersive Sound Specifications.
- Discussion and documentation of immersivity and immersive sound
- Discussion and preparation of standards for sound in the dome and planetarium spaces
- Links to and creation of case studies of immersive sound systems; an on-going resource
- Developing a “sound glossary for planetarians”
- Developing a document to define interfaces between audio and video, control and lighting systems
- Organizing workshops for working with innovative and immersive sound
- Organizing a session “immersive sound” during the IPS conference 2016 in Warszawa, Poland
The committee was formed during the IPS conference in Beijing 2014. The starting point was the ongoing discussion to bring immersive audio formats to the dome and to address the increasing number of questions about audio and acoustics in the dome.
For the committee work, the following ideas will guide us:
- Recommendations for dome acoustics in relation to the design and operations committee
- Inform about conventional and future audio formats in the dome and beyond (5.1 surround, spatial sound, cinema standards)
- Regular sound and acoustic articles in the planetarian
- Discussing future themes e.g. streaming, standards, production, etc.
- Best practice and workflow for high quality sound
- Look beyond the “edge of a plate"
- What´s on in entertainment, cinema, virtual reality,….concerning sound
- Guiding the IPS Vision 2020 for sound and acoustics (“the future planetarium”)
- Presenting the IPS immersive audio committee outside the Planetarium community, e.g. ECSITE, GSCA, AES, InfoComm, ISE
See Immersive Sound Specifications page
- Charles Morrow, Chair
1961 Roaring Brook Road
Barton, Vermont 05822
+1 212 989 2400
+1 206 222 2125
- Renee Rodigast
Fraunhofer IDMT (Institute for Digital Media Technology)
D-98693 llmenau GERMANY
+49 (0) 3677 467 390
+49 (0) 3677 467 467 fax
- Jeff Bowen
7999 East 88th Street
Indianapolis, Indiana USA 46256
- Pierre Brand, Primetime Studio GmbH
+49 (0)40 88 16 92 49
Interested in becoming a part of this committee? Contact the chair for more information.
2016 - Warsaw