Planetarian welcomes submissions of interest to the planetarium community. Preference is given to articles that closely relate to the philosophy, management, technical aspects, educational aspects, or history of planetariums, and to ideas that can readily be incorporated into planetarium shows, research, or operation. Authors are responsible for obtaining all necessary copyright clearances, especially for illustrations and photographs.
Research articles dealing with educational aspects of the planetarium and other topics are highly desirable and will be refereed if applicable.
Planetarian is prepared using Adobe InDesign and a variety of graphics programs. Text needs to be computer-readable and can be submitted:
- As a .doc or .docx attachment to an email; send to Executive Editor Sharon Shanks. Microsoft Word is preferred.
- Please do not include images in the Word document unless their placement is essential. These images are too small to be used for print.
- If you send a txt file as an attachment or within the body of the email, please mark formatting and special characters lost when converting to plain text.
If you cannot send via email, please contact the editor for alternate methods of submission.
Illustrations should be submitted by email attachment, by ftp transfer, or by using a large-file transfer service such as Dropbox or YouSendIt.
Accepted file types are .tif or .jpg. Best results are obtained with tif files with a resolution of 300 pixels per inch in CMYK color (vs RGB). Jpg files are compressed by their nature and care must be given to keep the image detailed enough to print well.Please err on the side of quality rather than compression.
The inclusion of good illustrations is strongly encouraged. It is the author's responsibility to obtain copyright clearance; by submitting an illustration the author certifies that necessary permission has been obtained.
All illustrations must be accompanied by captions and by credits (such as the name of the photographer, if needed).
Examples of credits:
photo by author
photo by Cassie O. Peia, used with permission
image by O. Rion originally appeared in StarGazing, reproduced with permission from publisher
Please refer to recent issues of Planetarian and make your style consistent with the journal's style. When in doubt, please follow The Chicago Manual of Style. Some style guidelines are available at no charge on the website; please do not subscribe to the site just for an article for Planetarian.
Include a 2-4 sentence abstract if appropriate. Double check the spelling of proper nouns and names and include accent marks. NEVER USE ALL CAPITALS; there are better ways to emphasize text. Do not use multiple columns (except in tables) or multiple tabs.
All measurements should be metric (with English units following inparentheses if desired).
Planetarian is published quarterly with cover dates of March, June, September, and December (the equinoxes and solstices). Final deadlines for receipt of all submissions are January 21, April 21, July 21, and October 21 respectively.
- Contributors agree that their submission is their own original work and has not appeared elsewhere in print or electronically, nor is not being submitted simultaneously elsewhere in print or electronically.
- If the submission has appeared elsewhere in print or electronically, permission to re-print must be obtained and a copy of this permission emailed to the Editor with the article.
- Once accepted for publication, the contributor also agrees that the copyright for original works not appearing elsewhere is held by the International Planetarium Society.
- Once a submission has appeared in Planetarian (but not before the printed version has been received by members),contributors may post the submission on a personal web site or a website of general interest as long as the following appears: Copyright 2017 (or appropriate year) International PlanetariumSociety; used with permission and provide a link to the IPS. If in doubt, contact the Editor with questions.
- Contributors agree that they have secured all necessary permissions and paid all necessary fees (if any) to secure reproduction rights of any copyrighted materials that appear within their article.
Address inquiries and submissions to:
Sharon Shanks, Executive Editor, Planetarian
484 Canterbury Land
Boardman, Ohio 44512-1719 USA
Top of page